Up till Saturday, Fido enjoyed wading in water. Chest deep was his limit. That is until we threw a stick in the river. As Steve says, his desire to retrieve was stronger than his fear of drowning.
On Sunday, we went back and tried it again. Here's how it went:
(1) Steve threw the stick in shallow water and encouraged Fido to find it.
(2) Fido retrieved the stick, eventually.
(3) Steve took the stick back from Fido.
(4) Steve threw the stick into the deep water.
(5) Fido swam for it, but couldn't find it at first.
(6) Got it. Good dog!
Needless to say, we were very proud.