Here's what you need:
fine mesh sieve
3 cups almost boiling water
1/3 cup raw nuts (I used cashews)
2-3 tbsp sweetener, depending on the nut you choose (I used 2 tbsp brown rice syrup. Maple syrup works great too.)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
1. Grind the nuts to a fine powder/paste using the coffee grinder.
2. Blend the ground nuts, sweetener and flavoring extract with 1/2 cup of the water.
3. Add the rest of the water 1/2 cup at a time and continue to blend. Take care when blending very hot water. Don't use a blender that is too small and fill it no more than halfway. Be careful of the steam when removing the lid. Use a low speed.
4. Pour contents of the blender through the sieve, stirring the milk to help it get through.
|My sieve isn't very fine, so I add cheesecloth to the straining procedure.|
5. Place the contents in a storage container and keep in refrigerator. It will keep for about a week. Shake the milk before using.