Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Midnight 25k


Last weekend was the Midnight 50k/25k at Lake Sylvia.  Until Saturday night, I had never run that far or that long and I'm still feeling sore 2 days later.  But, it was a really fun event.  It's a fun run in the sense that no one records your time, there are no medals, no age groups, etc.  It's just you and a couple hundred people running with flashlights on the service roads around Lake Sylvia under a full moon.

At the start, I think I heard someone say that there was 96% humidity and the temps were in the 90's.  Still, it didn't feel that terrible.  I took it easy, topped off my water bottle at each stop and walked when the grade became to difficult.  I got nervous in the last couple miles when the the trees closed in on the road; so, I could no longer see the moon.  I was alone and tired and starting to see things.  Eventually, I saw the headlamps of a couple runners behind me, reassuring me that I was headed in the right direction.  Shortly thereafter I was heading through the glow-stick lined finishing stretch.  Volunteers provided a table of food and drink for participants.  I had two huge pieces of watermelon and a coke. 

No comments:

Post a Comment